Blog

Friday 3 February 2017

Redux: Schwalbe Durano Plus puncture!

REVISITING THE REVIEW: Schwalbe Durano Plus tyre, 700x23c Road, folding

Further to my previous review about this tyre. The impossible has happened. I got a puncture 7,000kms into the set of tyres that replaced the set I previously reviewed.

Having said that, I note two things: first, that I never checked the carcass for glass once in 18 months of hard urban riding, meaning that it was immensely scarred and had dozens of embedded shards - all without impairment. Secondly, that when I did puncture, the tyre was sufficiently stiff that I happily rode another 5kms at 20psi, with no damage to the rim. It seems to mimic automotive run-flats. Despite all that it is a folder and it has terrific pliancy, grip and feel given its strength. When you then ride something lighter and more wonderful, such as a Continental Grand Prix Four Seasons, you know what you've been missing. You're off into beautiful land. Yet for all that I'd give the Pluses a completely full, 100% score, for what they are. They have the strength of a far less nice tyre, yet remain on the radar of really nice tyres. I hope that makes sense. It's as though Schwalbe have achieved the impossible here. Shame about the puncture, but hey, it's London. This was probably the millionth piece of glass they encountered. I've now replaced both tyres -having reached advanced late-life- and begun my third set on a life of non-stop abrasion.

Innocuous on the outside
But not so innocuous on the inside

No comments:

Post a Comment

Richard Lofthouse

Richard Lofthouse